Friday 29 April 2011

LONDON, 28th April

On our first day in London, we found the centre busy busy in preparation for the Royal Wedding of the following day. Everywhere was buzzing with preparations, shops full of memorabilia and plenty of people already heading towards Westminster to secure a spot as spectators.
We headed to the National Gallery http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/.
The National Gallery opens at 10.00am. It's situated at Trafalgar square and we got the Underground to Charing Cross.
Entrance is free, yet you're encouraged to leave a small donation.
Maps cost £1.00 and it's worth spending that £ as there's a hell of a lot of artwork to look at.
We practically spent the whole day there. There's a huge selection on display for all art tastes.
Photographs are forbidden so I wasn't able to document anything.
From the National Gallery we headed towards the Shakespeare's Globe to watch the play All's Well that Ends well http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/theatre/on-stage/alls-well-that-ends-well.
I booked the tickets beforehand online and was able to choose the seats and visualise the costs so I already knew where I was sitting and how much I was paying. What I found out about this interest in seeing a Shakespearean play was that these performances are open to everyone from an economical perspective. The prices range from £5.00 for a standing position in the yard to £37.50 for a gallery seat. I found this comforting, theatre trips don't have to cost the earth!



I hadn't read this play before and I found the performance fun, easy to follow and the quality of the acting was particularly good, and I came away knowing about the play I had just watched.
Wrap up warm however because it's in the open, and can get quite breezy in the evening.
We walked over the Millenium Bridge to head home and we left the centre of London with a group of youngsters heading towards Westminster with a mattress over their shoulders and what I think to have been a bag full of alcohol! Liked that a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment